Stories of perseverance are always inspiring and inspirational Perseverance Quotes are popular searches by people online everyday.
Don’t you just love hearing about people who never gave up? Everyone does and you can achieve the same with perseverance if you build a persistent mindset. It requires believing that every obstacle, regardless of how big or small it is, can be overcome. The key ingredient to fulfilling your dreams is determination. When you run into problems, you have the option of moving ahead or giving up. You will reach the finish line if you continue putting one foot in front of another. If you are still hesitant and unsure, hopefully, these quotes about perseverance can give you some inspiration.
Perseverance Quotes – 109 Inspiring Quotes About Perseverance
1. “It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer.”
– Albert Einstein
2. “Perseverance is failing 19 times and succeeding the 20th.”
– Julie Andrews
3. “Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.”
– John Quincy Adams
4. “The grim reality is that most start-ups fail. Most new products are not successful. Yet the story of perseverance, creative genius, and hard work persists.”
– Eric Ries
5. “Nowadays people talk about PayPal’s founders as prescient geniuses who would inevitably change the world. It was, however, not so obvious that PayPal would taste its first major success by helping people sell Beanie Babies on eBay. But they had a vision, a hope, and the perseverance to try multiple iterations until they got it right.”
– Eric Ries
6. “I was never specifically associated with a part, I didn’t have tons of money, I wasn’t conventionally tall or handsome, so you know the things that were available to me were hard work and perseverance.”
– Seth Green
7. “The stubbornness I had as a child has been transmitted into perseverance. I can let go but I don’t give up. I don’t beat myself up about negative things.”
– Phylicia Rashad
8. “Champions keep playing until they get it right.”
– Billie Jean King
9. “What everyone in the astronaut corps shares in common is not gender or ethnic background, but motivation, perseverance, and desire – the desire to participate in a voyage of discovery.”
– Ellen Ochoa
10. “Let me tell you the secret that has led to my goal. My strength lies solely in my tenacity.”
– Louis Pasteur
11. “You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it.”
12. “Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.”
– Robert Collier
13. To succeed, you must have tremendous perseverance, tremendous will. ‘I will drink the ocean,’ says the persevering soul; ‘at my will mountains will crumble up.’ Have that sort of energy, that sort of will; work hard, and you will reach the goal.
14. “Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
– Calvin Coolidge
15. “When you get into a tight place, and everything goes against you till it seems as if you couldn’t hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that’s just the place and time that tide will turn.”
– Harriet Beecher Stowe
16. “Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.”
– Thomas Carlyle
17. A winner is just a loser who tried one more time.
18. “A failure is not always a mistake. It may simply be the best one can do under the circumstances. The real mistake is to stop trying.”
– B. F. Skinner
19. “You go on. You set one foot in front of the other, and if a thin voice cries out, somewhere behind you, you pretend not to hear, and keep going.”
– Geraldine Brooks
20. “If your determination is fixed, I do not counsel you to despair. Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance.”
– Samuel Johnson
21. “Through perseverance many people win success out of what seemed destined to be certain failure.”
– Benjamin Disraeli
22. “If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”
– Martin Luther King, Jr.
23. Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
24. Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.
25. Ask yourself this question: ‘Will this matter a year from now?’
26. As I look back on my life, I realize that every time I thought I was being rejected from something good, I was actually being redirected to something better.
-Dr. Steve Maraboli
27. Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.
28. Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat.
-F. Scott Fitzgerald
29. Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.
30. Perseverance is failing 19 times and succeeding the 20th.
31. Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go.
32. Develop success from failures. Discouragement and failure are two of the surest stepping stones to success.
33. Failure is often that early morning hour of darkness which precedes the dawning of the day of success.
-Leigh Mitchell Hodges
34. We will either find a way or make one.
35. It always seems impossible until it’s done.
36. The best way out is always through.
37. “Perseverance is a great element of success. If you only knock long enough and loud enough at the gate, you are sure to wake up somebody.”
– Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
38. “If you are going through hell, keep going.”
– Winston Churchill
39. “When you have a great and difficult task, something perhaps almost impossible, if you only work a little at a time, every day a little, suddenly the work will finish itself.”
– Isak Dinesen
40. “The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That’s real glory. That’s the essence of it.”
– Vince Lombardi
41. Character consists of what you do on the third and fourth tries.
-James A. Michener
42. The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one comes from a strong will, and the other from a strong won’t.
– Henry Ward Beecher
43. The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking places.
44. Don’t be afraid to give your best to what seemingly are small jobs. Every time you conquer one it makes you that much stronger. If you do the little jobs well, the big ones will tend to take care of themselves.
– Dale Carnegie
45. Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain.
46. I am a slow walker, but I never walk back.
47. If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking. – Buddhist Saying
48. Never stop pedaling to power your dreams.
49. I may not be there yet, but I’m closer than I was yesterday.
50. Keep on going, and the chances are that you will stumble on something, perhaps when you are least expecting it. I never heard of anyone ever stumbling on something sitting down.
– Charles F. Kettering
51. One may go a long way after one is tired.
– French Proverb
52. Vitality shows in not only the ability to persist but the ability to start over.
– F. Scott Fitzgerald
53. With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable.
– Thomas Foxwell Buxton
54. When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on. – Franklin D. Roosevelt
55. Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they’ve got a second.
– William James
56. “Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and above all confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this thing must be attained.”
– Marie Curie
57. “Football is like life – it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority.”
– Vince Lombardi
58. “Of all that is good, sublimity is supreme. Succeeding is the coming together of all that is beautiful. Furtherance is the agreement of all that is just. Perseverance is the foundation of all actions.”
– Lao Tzu
59. “I learned patience, perseverance, and dedication. Now I really know myself, and I know my voice. It’s a voice of pain and victory.”
– Anthony Hamilton
60. “In the realm of ideas everything depends on enthusiasm… in the real world all rests on perseverance.”
– Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
70. “Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.”
– John Quincy Adams
71. “If you wish to succeed in life, make perseverance your bosom friend, experience your wise counsellor, caution your elder brother, and hope your guardian genius.”
– Joseph Addison
72. “Perseverance, secret of all triumphs.”
– Victor Hugo
73. “I believe this with all my heart: The greatest coach of all time in my eyes is my mom. She’s instilled in me a toughness and a perseverance and just a never-quit mentality, and I thank her every day for providing me, for what she sacrificed her life for.”
– Scott Brooks
74. “Perseverance – a lowly virtue whereby mediocrity achieves an inglorious success.”
– Ambrose Bierce
75. “Adversity, and perseverance and all these things can shape you. They can give you a value and a self-esteem that is priceless.”
– Scott Hamilton
76. “No one succeeds without effort… Those who succeed owe their success to perseverance.”
– Ramana Maharshi
77. “You aren’t going to find anybody that’s going to be successful without making a sacrifice and without perseverance.” – Lou Holtz
78. Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there. -Josh Billings
79. The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground.
80.If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.
81. Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another.
– Walter Elliott
82. People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don’t believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can’t find them, make them.
– G.B. Shaw
83. The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.
84. There is no telling how many miles you will have to run while chasing a dream.
85. Perseverance… keeps honour bright: to have done, is to hang quite out of fashion, like a rusty nail in monumental mockery.
86.The drops of rain make a hole in the stone not by violence but by oft falling.
87. “Perseverance is more prevailing than violence; and many things which cannot be overcome when they are together, yield themselves up when taken little by little.”
88. “Keep the faith, don’t lose your perseverance and always trust your gut extinct.”
– Paula Abdul
89. “Just remember, you can do anything you set your mind to, but it takes action, perseverance, and facing your fears.
– Gillian Anderson
90.“I don’t know what keeps me going. Sometimes I wonder… I think it’s just pure perseverance and wanting to succeed and having
that burning desire to always have success.” – Tanya Tucker
91. “In general, any form of exercise, if pursued continuously, will help train us in perseverance. Long-distance running is particularly good training in perseverance.”
– Mao Zedong
92. “Most of the time I liked school and got good grades. In junior high, though, I hit a stumbling block with math – I used to come home and cry because of how frustrated I was! But after a few good teachers and a lot of perseverance, I ended up loving math and even choosing it as a major when I got to college.”
– Danica McKellar
93. “Everything that I’ve ever been able to accomplish in skating and in life has come out of adversity and perseverance.”
94. Obstacles cannot crush me. Every obstacle yields to stern resolve. He who is fixed to a star does not change his mind.
– Leonardo da Vinci
95. The important thing in life is to have great aim and to possess the aptitude and the perseverance to attain it.
– Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
96. Persistent people begin their success where others end in failure.
– Edward Eggleston
97. “There are two ways of attaining an important end, force and perseverance; the silent power of the latter grows irresistible with time.” – Sophie Swetchine
98. “My three Ps: passion, patience, perseverance. You have to do this if you’ve got to be a filmmaker.”
– Robert Wise
99. “Success is the child of drudgery and perseverance. It cannot be coaxed or bribed; pay the price and it is yours.”
– Orison Swett Marden
100. “Courage doesn’t always roar, sometimes it’s the quiet voice at the end of the day whispering ‘I will try again tomorrow.’”
-Mary Anne Radmacher
101. Fall seven times and stand up eight.
102. Defeat is not the worst of failures. Not to have tried is the true failure.
-George Edward Woodberry
103. Life is more than just a question so keep living and the answer will come.
104. Every strike brings me closer to the next home run.
105.Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don’t have the strength.
106. Let perseverance be your engine and hope your fuel.
– H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
107.“Perseverance is an active principle, and cannot continue to operate but under the influence of desire.”
– William Godwin
108. “I’ll admit that it’s not easy to get an agent, but becoming successful in anything requires perseverance.”
– Nicholas Sparks
109. Perseverance is king.
– Josh Billings
110. When the world says, “Give up,”
Hope whispers, “Try it one more time.”
How To Practice Perseverance
Below are some tips that might help you in practising perseverance in your life:
- It is absolutely essential for you to know what you want. You can have a specific goal such as quitting smoking, climbing Mount Everest or getting a new job. It can also be a general goal such as being a happier or better person. Either way, your path will be clearer and the goal will seem achievable if you take some time to prepare and think. You need to develop some mental strength and give yourself deadlines so you can move ahead.
- Eliminate any self-doubt. This is the first hurdle that you will encounter and you need to be self-confident. Making progress will be impossible if you don’t believe that you are capable of doing it. Regardless of how unattainable your goals may seem, it is definitely possible for you to get there. You just need to stop comparing yourself to others. Bear in mind that everyone is different; you have different strengths and weaknesses and it isn’t fair to anyone if you do a comparison. Instead, you should devote your time to doing things that you are good at as this will give you satisfaction and confidence.
- You need to learn to stay cool. It takes a lot of energy for you to get hung up on small incidents and become stressed. You can redirect this energy into doing something better and productive. Sure, it is not going to be a piece of cake, but remember that practice makes perfect. Learn to meditate and take deep breaths when you get angry. Always think before you speak or act.
- Don’t let haters get you down. You have to work on practicing perseverance in your daily life as you move towards your goal. During this journey, you will come across people who will question you and weigh you down. Keep in mind that sometimes people are negative because they may be envious of your success or may be plagued by their own problems. You should stay away from such individuals and focus on your goal.
- Understand and practice your values. The best way to move forward in any situation and closer to the target is grasping your values. Going through some perseverance quotes can be very helpful in this regard. Also, life experiences help you in becoming your own person and you need to remember the lessons you have learnt for practising perseverance.