updated on 16/4/2016
“Everyone is handed adversity in life. No one’s journey is easy. Its how they handle it that makes people unique.”
– Kevin Conroy
How to be strong during hard times
Everyone has to deal with their own set of problems on a daily basis; for some there are weight issues, self-respect issues, depression, self-image or self-esteem issues or emotional issues. The list is endless, but the real question is how to make sense of this in order to find your purpose in life? These are questions that we ask ourselves in times of despair and anguish. At some point, you go through the highs and lows of life. Sometimes, you think everything is going in the right direction and then bam! It all goes downhill. However, this doesn’t mean that you just give up. The key is to stay strong even during times of adversity.
Bear in mind that everyone goes through this stage at some point in their life and you aren’t the only one. You can follow some of these tips to do so:
- You need to find something to be grateful for and appreciate everything you have. Another source of resilience for you is to focus on the good things in your life when you are going through difficult times. Pulling positivity from appreciation and gratitude for what you have can give you a perspective shift, which can aid you in making the though and depressing times more manageable. Sure, you may have suffered a loss, but you also have to find to be thankful for despite the problems and pain. You can turn to your family, friends, your job or even your health in order to do so.
- Have purpose and meaning in your life. Hope is all about having faith and knowing that there is a master plan for everyone’s future. You can look forward to the future in excitement and anticipation when you have a sense of purpose and meaning. When you are going through a rough spot and you don’t lose sight of your vision, passion and purpose, it will give you the strength for maintaining hope and perseverance.
- Fight hard to unearth solutions and get a sense of control. Don’t just react to the situations and let them get the better of you. Try solving problems actively as this can aid you in gaining a sense of control and thinking positively. It is empowering when you are able to seek solutions.
- Know that it will make you stronger. You need to eliminate the seeds of negativity from your mind and focus on the character strength and negativity that you will develop when you overcome your obstacles. Think about all the difficult spots you have had to face in the past and how you managed to get past them. Didn’t these moments make you wiser and stronger? If you have made through those times, then you will do the same now and always. Adversity develops the capacity for courage, empathy and compassion and enhances your character. Sometimes, a good motivational quote can inspire you a lot. Below is a great collection of uplifting quotes about being strong in hard times to help you stay more positive.
Quotes About Being Strong
1. “That which does not kill us makes us stronger.”
– Friedrich Nietzsche
2. “The weak fall, but the strong will remain and never go under!”
– Anne Frank
3. “Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
4. “Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.”
– Arnold Schwarzenegger
5.“When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.”
– Franklin D. Roosevelt
6.“True strength is keeping everything together when everyone expects you to fall apart.”
7. Be strong & face the life. Because sometimes “Life keeping nothing but only one option”. Be strong anyway.
– Bharat Zanvar
8. “Everything is okay in the end, if it’s not ok, then it’s not the end.”
9. Anyone can give up, it’s the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that’s true strength.”
10. “Hardship prepares ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny.”
– C.S. Lewis
11. Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
– Helen Keller
12. “It’s not the strength of the body that counts, but the strength of the spirit.”
13. Its always better to be surrounded by enemies that make you strong than to be crushed between friends that make you weak.
– Ram Mohan
14. “It’s hard to beat a person who never gives up.”
– Babe Ruth
15. “The most beautiful people I’ve known are those who have known trials, have known struggles, have known loss, and have found their way out of the depths.”
– Elisabeth Kübler-Ross
16. “Fall down seven times, get up eight.”
– Japanese Proverb
17. Life is, at times, tough…And all we need to do is to prove that we are tougher than it…
– Sanhita Baruah
18. Strength means going through what you hate with what you love in perspective.
– Constance Chuks Friday
19. “Nothing is impossible, the word itself says ‘I’m possible’!”
– Audrey Hepburn
20. The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.
– Ernest Hemingway
21. “Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today.”
– James Dean
22. “A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles.”
– Christopher Reeve
23. “Sometimes you don’t realize your own strength until you come face to face with your greatest weakness.”
– Susan Gale
24. “You have power over your mind, not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.”
– Marcus Aurelius
25. “I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.”
– Jewish Proverb
26. In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it.
– Lao Tzu
27. “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.”
– Louisa May Alcott
More motivational strong quotes for men and women with images
28. “Out of your vulnerabilities will come your strength.”
– Sigmund Freud
29. The depth and strength of a human character are defined by its moral reserves. People reveal themselves completely only when they are thrown out of the customary conditions of their life, for only then do they have to fall back on their reserves.
– Leonardo da Vinci
30. Greatness lies, not in being strong, but in the right using of strength; and strength is not used rightly when it serves only to carry a man above his fellows for his own solitary glory. He is the greatest whose strength carries up the most hearts by the attraction of his own.
– Henry Ward Beecher
31. “A truly strong person does not need the approval of others any more than a lion needs the approval of sheep.”
– Vernon Howard
32. “Make up your mind that no matter what comes your way, no matter how difficult, no matter how unfair, you will do more than simply survive. You will thrive in spite of it.”
33. “Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.”
– Dale Carnegie
34. “Where the will is strong there’ll always be a way
The dream goes on forever and a day”
35. Promise me you’ll always remember: You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
– A. A. Milne
36. “Tough times never last, but tough people do.”
– Robert H. Schuller
37. “The bamboo that bends is stronger than the oak that resists.”
– Ja panese Proverb
More inspirational quotes about being strong in hard times
38. “When you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven’t.”
39. “Look at life through the windshield, not the rear view mirror.”
– Byrd Baggett
40. “When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.”
– Harriet Beecher Stowe
41. “Do not pray for an easy life; pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.”
– Bruce Lee
42. “It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.”
– Charles Darwin
43. ”Just don’t give up trying to do what you really want to do.Where there is love and inspiration, I don’t think you can go wrong.”
— Ella Fitzgerald
44. “A river cuts through a rock not because of its power, but its persistence.”
45. “In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.”
– Robert Frost
46. “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
– Winston Churchill
47. “The struggle you’re in today is developing the strength you need for tomorrow. Don’t give up.”
– Robert Tew
48. “Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and, above all, confidence in ourselves. We must believe we are gifted for something and that this thing must be attained.”
— Marie Curie
49. “Anyone can give up; it’s the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone would expect you to fall apart, that’s true strength.”
– Chris Bradford
50. “A strong woman builds her own world. She is one who is wise enough to know that it will attract the man she will gladly share it with.”
― Ellen J. Barrier
51. “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
– Winston Churchill
52. “Sometimes you don’t realize your own strength until you come face to face with your greatest weakness.”
53. “When something bad happens, you have three choices: You can either let it define you, let it destroy you or let it strengthen you.”
54. Be strong enough to let go and patient enough to wait for what you deserve.
55. “I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.”
– Nelson Mandela
56. “You don’t develop courage by being happy in your relationships everyday. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity.”
57. “Notice that the stiffest tree is most easily cracked, while the bamboo or willow survives by bending with the wind.”
― Bruce Lee
58. Through all the heartaches and the tears, through gloomy days and fruitless years; I do give thanks for now I know, these were the things that helped me grow.
– David Lockett
59. “Be strong. You never know who you are inspiring.”
60. “Be that strong girl that everyone knew would make it through the worst, be that fearless girl, the one who would dare to do anything, be that independent girl who didn’t need a man; be that girl who never backed down.”
– Taylor Swift
61. “My strength did not come from lifting weights. My strength came from lifting myself up when I was knocked down.”
– Bob Moore
62. You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, “I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along”.
– Eleanor Roosevelt
63. “A strong woman understands that the gifts such as logic, decisiveness, and strength are just as feminine as intuition and emotional connection. She values and uses all of her gifts.”
64. “No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may.We ourselves must walk the path.”
– Buddha ( More Buddha Quotes )
65. “Anyone can hide. Facing up to things, working through them, that’s what makes you strong.”
– Sarah Dessen
66. “Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.”
― Bruce Lee
67. “Courage is looking fear right in the eye and saying, ‘Get the hell out of my way, I’ve got things to do.’”
68. He who believes is strong; he who doubts is weak. Strong convictions precede great actions.
– Louisa May Alcott
69. I have no regrets in my life. I think that everything happens to you for a reason. The hard times that you go through build character, making you a much stronger person.
– Rita Mero
70. “Life will break you. Nobody can protect you from that, and living alone won’t either, for solitude will also break you with its yearning. You have to love. You have to feel. It is the reason you are here on earth. You are here to risk your heart. You are here to be swallowed up. And when it happens that you are broken, or betrayed, or left, or hurt, or death brushes near, let yourself sit by an apple tree and listen
to the apples falling all around you in heaps, wasting their sweetness. Tell yourself you tasted as many as you could.”
– Louise Erdrich
71. “Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. Strength comes from overcoming the things you thought you couldn’t.”
72. “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.”
– Ernest Hemingway
73. Flexibility makes buildings to be stronger, imagine what it can do to your soul.
– Carlos Barrios
74. “You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.”
– Cayla Mills
75. “Don’t wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Weak men wait for opportunities; strong men make them.”
– Orison Swett Marden
76. “The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.”
– Mahatma Gandhi
77. Being weak doesn’t make you worthless. Being strong doesn’t make you invincible. But having those two sides makes you,you.
78. “Being strong doesn’t mean you’ll never get hurt. It means even when you get hurt, you’ll never let it defeat you.”
79. “Most great people have attained their greatest success one step beyond their greatest failure.”
– Napoleon Hill
80. “Worry does not empty tomorrow of its troubles; it empties today of its strength.”
– Corrie ten Boom
81. “Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom. A man can’t ride you unless your back is bent.”
– Martin Luther King, Jr.
82. Marriage is like a well-built porch. If one of the two posts leans too much, the porch collapses. So each must be strong enough to stand on its own.
– Deb Caletti
83. “Never, ever ever ever ever give up.”
– Winston Churchill
84. I am a strong person but every now and then I need someone to hold my hand and tell me everything will be alright.
85. “Do one thing every day that scares you.”
― Eleanor Roosevelt
86. “In the middle of a difficulty lies opportunity.”
– Albert Einstein
87. “I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.”
― Audrey Hepburn
More quotes about strength and willpower
88. “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable
will.” – Mahatma Gandhi
89. Strength of character isn’t always about how much you can handle before you break, it’s also about how much you can handle after you’ve broken.
– Robert Tew
90. “You are only as lazy or lacking in willpower as you think you are.” – Ken Christian
91. Strong people don’t put people down. They lift them up!
92. “Where the willingness is great, the difficulties cannot be great.” – Niccolo Machiavelli
93. Sometimes you don’t realize the weight of a burden you’ve been carrying until you feel the weight of its release.
94. I’m thankful for my struggle because without it, I wouldn’t have stumbled across my strength.
95. “The man who goes farthest is generally the one who is willing to do and dare. The sure-thing boat never gets far from shore.” – Dale Carnegie
96. “To assert your willpower is simply to make up your mind that you want something, and then refuse to be put off.” – Phillip Cooper
97. “In the absence of willpower the most complete collection of virtues and talents is wholly worthless.” – Aleister Crowley
98. Strength; a river cuts through a rock not because of it’s power, but it’s persistance.
99. Pain makes people change, but it also makes them stronger.
100. Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength.
— Corrie ten Boom
101. People will hate you, rate you, shake you, and break you. How you stand strong is what makes you.
102. Life is very interesting. In the end, some of your greatest pains become your greatest strengths.
— Drew Barrymore
103. The struggling you do today will develop the strength you need tomorrow.
104. “Willpower is the key to success. Successful people strive no matter what they feel by applying their will to overcome apathy, doubt or fear.” – Dan Millman
105. “The will is the keystone in the arch of human achievement. It is the culmination of our complex mental faculties. It is the power that rules minds, men and nations.” – Thomas Parker Boyd
106. The strongest people are not those who show strength in front of us, but those who win battles we know nothing about.
107. “Nothing can withstand the power of the human will if it is willing to stake its very existence to the extent of its purpose.” – Benjamin Disraeli
108. Being strong also means admitting when you are wrong.
109. Nothing is more beautiful than the smile that has struggled through the tears.
— Demi Lovato
110. Sometimes you have to allow yourself to be weak in order to grow stronger.
111. “Men can do all things if they will.” – Leon Batista Alberti
112. Be strong when you are weak, brave when you are scared, and humble when you are victorious.
113. My attitude is that if you push me towards something that you think is a weakness, then I will turn that perceived weakness into a strength.
— Michael Jordan
114. Tough times don’t last, tough people do.
115. “I don’t wait for moods. You accomplish nothing if you do that. Your mind must know it has got to get down to work.”
– Pearl S. Buck
116. A smile can hide so many feelings; fear, sadness, heartbreak… but it also shows one other thing: strength.
117. “Willpower is essential to the accomplishment of anything worthwhile.”
– Brian Tracy
118. “The will of man is his happiness.”
– Johann Friedrich Von Schiller
119. Whatever life gives you, even if it hurts, just be strong, and put on your game face. Strong walls shake, but never collapse.
120. “The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. This area of
pain divides the champion from someone else who is not a champion. That’s
what most people lack, having the guts to go on and just say they’ll go
through the pain no matter what happens.”
– Arnold Schwarzenegger
We hope you enjoyed reading these inspirational quotes about being strong, strength and willpower. If you need more inspiration, you might want to check out our other popular quotes pages like: never give up quotes, encouraging Quotes and uplifting quotes for hard times.